When conjugating yaru to yarimasu, does it become やあります or やります?

closed as unclear what you're asking by macraf, Sjiveru, Blavius, Amani Kilumanga, snailcar Feb 5 '16 at 6:05

Please clarify your specific problem or add additional details to highlight exactly what you need. As it's currently written, it’s hard to tell exactly what you're asking. See the How to Ask page for help clarifying this question. If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

What does "conjugating yaru to arimasu" mean? – snailcar Feb 5 '16 at 2:28
    I think you may have made a fundamental misunderstanding here. Can you explain your understanding of the difference between ある and あります? – Sjiveru Feb 5 '16 at 3:05

Grammatically speaking, やあります is just plain wrong. It never conjugates to やあります.

Such a spelling may be used when someone said やります with a strange intonation (like "I wiiil dooo it"), but it should be rare.

I'm going to assume you mean yarimasu instead of arimasu. Arimasu comes from aru (to be). ある -> あり -> あります

やる yaru conjugates to やります yarimasu.

やあります in romaji is yaarimasu, which would be stretching the "a" sound for no reason.

Masu-form conjugation simply involves changing the u hiragana to its i counterpart and then adding masu for godan verbs (yaru -> yari -> yarimasu), or dropping the ru and then adding masu for for ichidan verbs (taberu -> tabe -> tabemasu). The irregular verbs, suru and kuru turn to shimasu and kimasu.

Godan verb examples:

いく to go -> いき -> いきます, not いいきます

かう to buy -> かい -> かいます, not かあいます

まつ* to wait -> まち -> まちます, not まあちます. Note that つ changes to ち since they are in the same row of the hiragana table.

よむ to read -> よみ -> よみます, not よおみます

さす* to hold up (eg. an umbrella) -> さし -> さします, not さあします. Note that す changes to し since they are in the same row of the hiragana table.

Ichidan verb examples:

みる to see -> み -> みます, not みいます

ねる to sleep -> ね -> ねます, not ねえます

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.