I understand the question is asking about whether the workplace uses テプラ or ネームランド cameras, but what exactly does the 「でしたか」 mean in this circumstance?

I looked up Tepra (テプラ) on google images and its a handheld machine makes something like nameplates on the go. Please correct if I am wrong!

Anyway, this usage of でしたか is as straight-forward as it gets: past tense of です + question particle か. Listing consecutive items using か gives a " [this] or [that]" list, like in your example.

あなたの職場はテプラでしたかネームランドでしたか

More context is definitely needed for this to fully make sense, so I had to infer as to not make a nonsensical statement.

(Did your workplace use) Tepra or Nameland (nameplate machines)?

In English we might say "Were you a Tepra shop or a name-brand shop?" – David Moles Feb 4 '16 at 0:46
  • While your interpretation sounds correct I have never seen this usage before. I wonder if it's very formal or no longer in popular use. Typically I would expect something like "XかY”. It makes more sense to me if this is really two sentences, where a period is after the first でしたか。I have also seen それとも used in a similar structure after the first option. – Locksleyu Feb 4 '16 at 1:16
    That's not namebrand, but Nameland, another label printer. – marasai Feb 4 '16 at 6:01

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.