In my JLPT prep book, I have the following sentence (no official translation available),

自分の利益を得んがための発言では、人の心を動かせない。

I am wondering if there is not a missing と at the end. Indeed, here, it would translate as “In this speech made so that I get some profit I will not move the heart of people” but with と it would become “In this speech that should get me some profit I should move the heart of people”.

My translation is not really good but I hope it is understandable.

Can you confirm that と is missing? or do I understant the sentence the wrong way?

Maybe I misunderstood the sentence and it just means “I won't move people with a speech made for my own profit/in order that I get profit”

「[自分]{じぶん}の[利益]{りえき}を[得]{え}んがための[発言]{はつげん}では、[人]{ひと}の[心]{こころ}を[動]{うご}かせない。」

If this is a stand-alone sentence without any context, it is already a perfect sentence. There is no need to add a 「と」 at the end.

In that case, the sentence would mean:

"If it were a statement made to profit oneself, it could not move anyone's heart." or

"A statemnet that is made to profit oneself would not move anyone's heart."

Regardless of the possible variety of translations, the fact remains that the original sentence would be 100% correct, grammatical, natural, etc.

If, however, there were a context in which 「自分の利益を得んがための発言では、人の心を動かせない。」 is what someone said, thought, heard, was taught, etc., then a 「と」 can be added at the end. Needless to say, that 「と」 would be quotative.

For example, it is completely grammatical and natural to say:

「[父]{ちち}は[言]{い}っていた。自分の利益を得んがための発言では、人の心を動かせない。」

「[何]{なに}かの[本]{ほん}で[読]{よ}んだことがある。自分の利益を得んがための発言では、人の心を動かせない。」

• I was completely mistaken, thank you for shedding light. – 永劫回帰 Feb 1 '16 at 16:01

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.