So this is a sentence I picked from Hikaru no Go, Vol. 1, that I am reading.

どれもこれもパツとしないなあ

What does パツ mean in this sentence and how do you usually find those kind words? When I searched on jisho.org I did not find anything.

Here is another sentence:

バーカ 囲碁だよ 碁盤とか いう ヤツ

What does ヤツ mean in this sentence ?

頭 が おもて一 やつぱコレはきのうの...

What does やつぱコレ mean in this sentence?

It looks like you have trouble distinguishing っ and ッ from つ and ツ... – Earthliŋ Jan 30 '16 at 21:11
    You are totally correct and I will try to look more closely to distinguishing っ and ッ from つ and ツ. Thanks for the feedback. – TensaiNiNaru Jan 31 '16 at 23:25

That should be 「パ」 with the small 「ッ」 rather than 「パ」 with the full-size 「ツ」.

「パッとしない」 means "to not be good enough", "to not stand out", etc.

「どれもこれもパツとしないなあ」 means

"None of these/those are good enough (for me)."

or "These/Those are all mediocre."

Moving on..

「ヤツ」 here means "a/the thing". (Full-size 「ツ」 here.)

「バーカ [囲碁]{いご}だよ [碁盤]{ごばん}とか いう ヤツ だ」 =

"You fool, it is Go! That is what they call a Go board! "

Lastly, it is a small 「っ」 again in 「やっぱ」. It is not 「やつぱ」.

「やっぱ」 is a colloquial version of 「やっぱり」, which is already an informal version of 「やはり」.

All three mean "as I/you/they thought", "you see!", "after all", etc. It is a word a native speaker uses a dozen times a day.

「[頭]{あたま} が おもて一 やつぱコレはきのうの...」 =

"My head feels heavy. You see, this has gotta be ~~~ from yesterday."

It is hard to translate without more context. 「おもてー」 is how 「[重]{おも}たい」 (= "heavy") is pronounced informally (mostly in Kanto).

| improve this answer | |
    The last sentence has a やつぱ instead of やっぱ. Might make things confusing for the OP. Tried to edit but that was the only thing wrong, so it wouldn't let me. Wah. – Miss Lavelle Jan 31 '16 at 14:08

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.