the prepositions / 前置詞{ぜんちし}:

(1) on;
(2) to;
(3) for;

the prepositional objects:

(1) desk;
(2) cafe;
(3) her;

What is the formal linguistic term for a prepositional object in Japanese?

My native speaker sources suggested "前置詞句の目的語" and "前置詞句の補語", but they admitted to being unsure.

• Eijiro suggests [前置詞]{ぜんちし}付{つ}き[目的語]{もくてきご}, FWIW. – Eiríkr Útlendi Jan 30 '16 at 2:39
  • A Google search suggests that this term is in use. – Eiríkr Útlendi Jan 30 '16 at 2:46
    @EiríkrÚtlendi In use, but rare. – snailboat Jan 30 '16 at 3:53
  • @snailboat for that matter, the English term is 初耳 for me. :) – Eiríkr Útlendi Jan 30 '16 at 6:08
    @EiríkrÚtlendi Indirect objects are completely different:: "I gave Jim the map.":: "Jim" is the indirect object, and "map" is the direct object. – david Jan 30 '16 at 7:13

I've heard ''前置詞の目的語''.
It means the partner of the prepositional, not a role in a sentence.

''前置詞の目的語'' can be used even when the prepositional phrase is not regarded as a kind of the object in the sentence.

I'm waiting for her.
I made a cake for my children with her.
I'm interesting in ethnic food.

These words in italics are all ''前置詞の目的語''.

• Actually, I just learned "前置詞の補語". Do you think "前置詞補語" sounds natural in a conversation? Would most Japanese know that 専門用語? – david Jan 31 '16 at 2:54
  • I also actually learned ''前置詞の目的語''. I think the term ''補語'' is less popular than ''目的語''. Now I googled both of them, it seemed ''前置詞の目的語'' is used mainly. – Toshihiko Jan 31 '16 at 3:11
  • @david 前置詞の補語 is a more technically neutral term, but if you're talking about that of English, 前置詞の目的語 should be the best, for that's how it's taught. – broccoli forest Jan 31 '16 at 4:43
  • @david Oh, and 前置詞補語 is NG. It'd mean an "preposition as complement". – broccoli forest Jan 31 '16 at 4:52

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.