Why does Japanese (more or less) lack word wrapping, with even words written in katakana broken up by new lines?

Why should Japanese have word wrapping? Your question is similar to asking “Why is Hebrew written from right to left?” – Tsuyoshi Ito Jan 28 '16 at 13:00
    You ask "why Japanese lacks word wrapping" and at the same time include a link pointing to standards of word wrapping in Japanese and even a bold Word wrap rules heading. What is your question? – macraf Jan 28 '16 at 13:54
    Maybe because Japanese doesn't have spaces? – ignorantFid Jan 28 '16 at 15:44
    My guess is influence from the Chinese typesetting/printing tradition. – jogloran Jan 28 '16 at 17:14
    My 二円: I think this could be expanded into several very good questions, but I think it is a bit unclear in its current state. – Amani Kilumanga Jan 29 '16 at 1:39

If the text has been laid out properly by a designer the words will wrap right after the particle for more natural flow (が、を、は etc). For a websites in Japanese, because there is no whitespace between characters the sentence is treated as one 'word' and will break wherever it needs to.

• Regarding your comment on websites: I have seen a lot of websites and emails where the author manually breaks up sentences to a specific length. – Amani Kilumanga Jan 29 '16 at 4:17
    ... and this kind of "typewriter" treatment of text is an absolute bane for any kind of automated text processing. >:-( – Eiríkr Útlendi Jan 29 '16 at 22:49

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.