I was reading a Japanese manga and came across the sentence: よそうかんがえるな。。。

Now, I took this to mean "Stop, let's not think about it", but I am wondering if the phrase is a set-phrase or it is similar to volitional+omou which means to plan.

Please let me know, because it is really bothering me.

Do you have surrounding context, or an actual picture? – broccoli forest Jan 27 '16 at 19:50
  • HE was thinking of the girl he liked and had to stop thinking in order to pay attention in class. he was being distracted by thought. – MD-4 Jan 27 '16 at 20:00
    Then isn't there any spacing or line break between よそう and かんがえるな? Is trailing 。。。 appearing as it is in the original text? – broccoli forest Jan 27 '16 at 20:04
  • i typed it as it shows. – MD-4 Jan 27 '16 at 20:10
    Hmm... That's not really what I expected. Could you add sentences come before and after that part? – broccoli forest Jan 27 '16 at 20:13

This is surely 予想を考えるな with を omitted, meaning, "Don't speculate".

予想を考える seems to be commonly used in relation to speculation about things like horse racing, as in e.g. 競馬の予想を考える.

なんでやねん!w しかもなんでUV入ってんねん!w – Chocolate Jan 31 '16 at 3:30
    No, that makes no sense. – l'électeur Feb 1 '16 at 0:22
  • "that really makes a lot of sense" >> Lol you gotta be kidding or being sarcastic @MD-4 – Chocolate Feb 1 '16 at 7:23

All I can say for sure is that:

「よそうかんがえるな」

is not a set phrase. It is not even normal writing.

If it were meant to be:

「よそう、[考]{かんが}えるな・・・」 or even 「よそう、かんがえるな・・・」 in all kana,

then, it would be much better writing and it makes perfect sense as well. It would mean something like:

"Nah, let's not! Don't (even) think about it!"

That is, however, still not a set phrase.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.