I came across this and don't quite understand is meaning. One character orders another to forget something, who nods agreement but thinks to themselves:

忘れようったって忘れられない

What does 忘れようったって mean here? Something like "even if I want to forget"?

See this デジタル大辞泉's entry:

たって[連語]
[連語]《格助詞「と」と動詞「いう」の連用形に接続助詞「たって」の付いた「といったって」の音変化》名詞、活用語の終止形、動詞と一部の助動詞の命令形、一部の助詞に付く。上に促音の付いた「ったって」の形をとることが多い。ある事柄を認めるにしても、全面的にではないという気持ちを表す。…といっても。…としても。「登山―、ハイキング程度さ」「来いっ―すぐには行けない」「買うっ―近くに店はないよ」 [補説]打ち解けた話し言葉で用いられる。

So ったって after a noun, a dictionary/imperative form of a verb, or a dictionary form of an adjective is a contracted form of と言ったって (lit. "although one says ~", "even if they say ~").

忘れようったって忘れられない literally means "Even if I say I will forget, I can't forget".

Note that たって directly after te-form is not a contracted form of と言ったって, but this:

[接助]《過去の助動詞「た」の終止形に接続助詞「とて」の付いた「たとて」の音変化》動詞・形容詞、一部の助動詞の連用形に付く。ガ・ナ・バ・マ行の五段活用動詞に付く場合は「だって」となる。逆接の仮定条件を表す。…ても。…たとしても。「笑われ―かまわない」「いくら捜し―いるはずがない」

Example:

• 走ったって問題ない。 There's no problem if I run. (te-form of 走る happens to be 走っ)
  • 走るったって、今日は雨だよ。 Even if you say you run, it's raining today.

Double contraction is taking place here.

「[忘]{わす}れようったって」=

「忘れようと言ったって」

which means:

「『忘れよう』と言っても」≒

「『忘れよう』と言ったとしても」

= "Even if I/you/we said 'Let's forget!'"

The last part of the sentence 「忘れられない」, of course, means "I/you/we can't (forget)."

This construct, which uses the same verb twice, is very common. In its first appearance, the verb can be in a few different forms such as volitional, imperative, etc., but in its second appearance, the verb must be put in a negative form.

「[食]{く}えったって食えねえよ、[納豆]{なっとう}だけは!」= "Just can't eat nattou no matter what!"

(Notice I did not employ the silly literal TL of "Even if someone told me to eat nattou, I could not eat it!")

「ハワイに[連]{つ}れてってって言われても、連れていけないよ~。お[金]{かね}ないもん!」 Yes, I did use 「連れてってって」 correctly. = 「連れていってって」 = 「連れていってと」

"You ask me to take you to Hawaii, but I can't. I ain't got much money!"

• According to the book I read, the volitional form + ったって・たって means volitional form + としても, so it is something like even if I try to forget, I am not able to. I think. – personanongrata Jul 11 '18 at 13:18

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.