If I want to say

John studies at home and the library

do I say

ジョンさんはうちとしょかんべんきょうします。

I feel like I'm getting the particles wrong or that I'm actually supposed to use double particles.

Unmodified うち will be implicitly assumed to be "my home". You're recommended to use いえ or おうち (may sounds childish in this case) for "his home". Jan 25, 2016 at 5:15

1 Answer 1

「ジョンさんはうちとしょかんべんきょうします。」

This sentence is grammatical but it does not sound very natural for a couple of reasons.

1) Use of 「うち」. In this sentence, the speaker is NOT ジョン. When native Japanese-speakers hear just 「うち」, we would tend to think it refers to the speaker's home as @broccoli forest states in the comment above.

To avoid that, you can use 「[自宅]{じたく}」 or 「[家]{いえ}」 instead of 「うち」.

2) Use of 「と」. I am sure you just directly translated "and" and came up with 「と」. As I said, it is grammatical, but the native speakers's word choice would be 「や」 considerably more often than 「と」.

If you think you are required to use 「と」 in your class, I will not beg you to use 「や」.

(「うち」, however, I must advise that you not use.)

• Thank you for your helpful reply. If you don't mind, I have another question. In my class, we're learning about double particles yet I'm confused as to what では both means and when it is used. I figured では is used to mark both the subject and the location where an action is taking place but my professor provided examples where a は already marked the subject. Here's the example, たけしさんはとしょかんではべんきょうしますけど、りょうではべんきょうしません。I can't speak English in the class so that's why I ask here.
    – flossboss
    Jan 25, 2016 at 13:34
  • @flossboss That would be another question, but it's good to look in this answer first. Jan 25, 2016 at 17:22

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .