Same as with my question about a Kanji I tried to identify on a bad image source, I have a katakana word I need to understand / translate.

The word reads トッツケ, as marked in this image: house map

I tried to find out what it means, and I am thinking it might be some kind of 'foreroom' a room you go through before entering the actual house? I might be totally wrong though, so I would be very happy about any input.

again, thank you very much in advance!!

取っ付 (or 取り付き) means "starter", "first (step/impression)", "clue" etc.

大辞林 defines 取っ付き like this:

とっつき【取っ付き】
①物事のやり始め。初手。 「-から失敗する」
②初めて会った時に受ける感じ。第一印象。 「-の悪い男だ」
ある建物・場所などに入る時,一番初めに通る所。一番手前。入り口。「-の部屋」「正門を這入ると,-の大通りの左右に植ゑてある銀杏の並木が眼に付いた/三四郎 漱石」

(FWIW, the third definition seems to be common in middle Japan, but I personally did not know this.)

So at least トッツキの部屋 means "the first/front room", "entrance", etc.

I could find no exact example of 取っ付の部屋. But I think 取っ付け should mean the same thing, because 付く and 付ける are semantically the same except that the latter is transitive.

• Thank you very much! Sorry for the late reply. And yes, that makes sense. It was where I was coming from too, I just wanted to make sure I didn't overlook a different explanation for the word. – Imi Jan 28 '16 at 18:37

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.