Is it: 文章を治てください?

There are many words for "correct' including 改める, 正す, 訂する, but it's not clear when to use those words or which is "correct" in this context.

Off topic, does anyone know a similar resource to this site for Korean?

Thanks!

文章を直してください is correct. 治す is used like 病気を治す. – Yuuichi Tam Jan 23 '16 at 4:55

文章を[直]{なお}してください is fine. You can also say 書いた文を[訂正]{ていせい}してください because 訂正 gets used a lot and implies that you gotta correct something. You don't use [正]{ただ}す, [訂]{てい}する in daily speech and [改]{あらた}める is used for intangible things like behavior or speech.

PS for the Korean version look at the very bottom of this page.

CLARIFICATION

1. [訂正]{ていせい} means fix an error and implies that you know there is some error. When a worker creates a piece of work (designs a poster, writes a manual, makes an excel spreadsheet) and you find an error, you can tell them to「訂正してください」 which is the same as 「直してください」

2. [添削]{てんさく}, recommended in the comments, means to go over someone's writing and correct it if necessary, and may apply to your case. You can use it for written papers and exams, but not for math tests (where the error would be a math error as opposed to spelling or grammar)

If you are not sure which to go for, I suggest saying something more general like

間違いがあるかどうかチェックしてもらえますか?

I find 「訂正」 to be a poor word choice here because that means "correcting one's OWN mistakes". I would definitely use 「[添削]{てんさく}」. – l'électeur Jan 23 '16 at 12:21
    That's not true – galki Jan 23 '16 at 12:23
    @choco this might be the first time that a foreigner 訂正's your japanese usage – galki Jan 23 '16 at 13:24
    You don't have to listen to us if you don't wanna improve your Japanese. Go on, forget about 添削 and keep using 訂正.  あなたの日本語が間違ってても私はち~っとも困らないねw – Chocolate Jan 23 '16 at 13:42
    Just here to back up 添削, as when Japanese people come to me asking me to correct their Norwegian they use 添削. :) – Miss Lavelle Jan 23 '16 at 16:15

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.