I found this out of context. Looked everywhere and no answer to be found. alc.co.jp offers a bunch of different meanings and is of not much help. Please help!

It's not a fixed phrase, so I think we could be of little help out of context. – broccoli forest Jan 24 '16 at 4:40

[受け止める]{うけとめる} can mean to catch or stop a blow, but it can also mean to accept or come to grips with something. Given that [劣勢]{れっせい} means something along the lines of inferiority or an unfavorable/disadvantaged situation, then without further context the best guess I can field is that it means "to accept an unfavorable situation."

• so "to accept defeat" / "to come to terms with" perhaps? – galki Jan 23 '16 at 4:14
  • @galki It wouldn't mean anything about "defeat", but more like to "accept the fact that this isn't a good situation". – Jimmy Jan 25 '17 at 18:03

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.