The character, 體 (tai) which I think loosly means entity looks different than the what I have noticed in other characters. In particular, the radical on the left looks strange. I tried to find it on the internet, but I couldn't find anything about the etymology. Does anyone else know?

The character of 體 (today 体 in 当用漢字) meaning the body is composed of the characters of 骨 meaning human and creatures’ bones on the left side and 豊 meaning rich on the right side.

According to「常用字解」compiled by the great scholar, Chinese character / language etymologist, 白川静 and published by 平凡社, the letter of 骨 features the shape of the bones above the sternum with the fresh meat attached to as its origin (p.211). The letter of 豊 features 豆 shaping a jar with high legs full of millet, thus symbolizing abundance and fertility (p.585).

In ancient China, 體 meant the body of animal for an offer for sacrifice to the Heavenly God, and later came to mean human body (p.415).

In Japanese,「豊」is a merger of two unrelated but graphically similar characters:「豊」and「豐」. Only「豐」means abundance;「豊」was the original character for「禮」(Shinjitai:「礼」), meaning courtesy/etiquette.「豊」does not contribute meaning towards「體」.

「體」(Baxter-Sagart OC: /*r̥ˤijʔ/) is comprised of semantic「骨」and phonetic「豊」(Baxter-Sagart OC: /*[r]ˤijʔ/).

In Ancient Chinese,「體」meant limbs. Quote from Analects:

四體不{{ko:勤}},五{{ko:穀}}不分。

If the four limbs aren't diligent, the five grains won't be ready for harvest.

體 is the old traditional-Chinese spelling (旧字体【きゅうじたい】) of modern simplified spelling (新字体【しんじたい】) 体.

The radical of the older form is 骨, "bone".

More information about the character is available on Wiktionary:

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/體

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.