I've studied the use of a polite(?) te-form conjugation that is used to enumerate actions or for a request (adding ください). Examples would be 聞いて, 死んで.

But what about non-polite(?) te-form conjugations? 聞け, 死ね, when do you use them? They rather seem imperative, as if the speaker were giving an order with an angry tone, but I believe that's actually the case of the 〜なさい suffix.

"what about non-polite(?) te-form conjugations? 聞け, 死ね, when do you use them" >> ?? Sorry, are 聞け and 死ね te-form? – Chocolate Jan 20 '16 at 6:23
    A "te-form" is a form ending in 〜て. It isn't a general term for asking/telling people what to do. – snailcar Jan 20 '16 at 6:27
    The forms you're talking about are called imperatives, or 命令形. – Aeon Akechi Jan 20 '16 at 11:35

Let's talk about the imperative in Japanese: an imperative is a way to give orders and/or commands. However, the form of these utterances decides whether they are humble requests to barked orders.

You can find a quite complete reference here

In general you can use a number of forms:

• ます-stem+なさい: this is a polite yet firm request. It is often used to soften orders, between parents and child or boss/employee.

よく聞{き}きなさい!

• て-form+ください or noun+ください: This also a polite way of expressing a request, think of "Please do this". This is widely used, I hear it all the time in classrooms:

座{すわ}ってください!

• The imperative form that is made from either turning the last syllable of a godan verb to the corresponding e pair or by adding to the stem of a ichidan verb. This one is used for strong orders, such as those you give to your dog:

走{はし}れ! しっかりしろ!

There are other variations, but these are the main imperative forms. Note that the て-form is one imperative form among many others. Usage of those forms depends a lot on the context, mainly the current situation and relationship between the speakers.

An interesting example is 頑張{がんば}る, to do one's best, to strive for perfection.

• 頑張りなさい would typically be used by soccer moms encouraging their children.
  • 頑張ってください would be used to encourage a co-worker.
  • 頑張って may be used by friends encouraging you
  • 頑張れ (often written ガンバレ) will be used by sports fan cheering on their favorite team/player.

Unfortunately there is no set rule, so it will take some time to recognize in which situation which form of imperative is to be used.

• This is exactly the kind of explanation I was looking for, thank you very much. I didn't know what I was asking wasn't Te-form so that's pretty much what was blocking me. Also +1 for the furigana. – Christopher Francisco Jan 22 '16 at 17:51

Choco's right but being pedantic ;)

~て form is often used as a casual direct request/command. ドア開けて!早く飲んで! Adding くれ!makes it very powerful, impatient, angry, desperate or comic.

~なさい is more how you would politely but strongly address/command/request a child or 'lower' person. You could also see it as one step down in formality from ください。

Like many things, tone, delivery and situation impart a lot of nuance and variety of application.

I think you've got the meaning for ~くれ wrong. It's just the auxiliary verb くれる "for me" – oals Jan 22 '16 at 19:44
  • As in  早くやってくれ! ?I'd call that a fairly powerful demand/command in spoken Japanese. – chariman Jan 24 '16 at 1:14
  • Certainly, but the power comes from the imperative form. – oals Jan 24 '16 at 11:54

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.