Doesn't 趣味悪い{しゅみわるい} basically means "to have a bad sense of style / taste;". It is slang, and it sounds funny to say to a guy. It sounds playful, but could be taken as impolite if the listener wants to.

• If a friend has a poorly matched suit / shirt / tie, then you can describe how he looks as "趣味悪い".
  • To be funny, you can always say that his selection of his girlfriend proves he is "趣味悪い".
  • If a Japanese friend were to order deep-fried cheese sticks from McDonalds (a pretty vile food in my book), I'd say he is "趣味悪い" just to be funny.
  • It'd probably be awkward to say to a girl.

Where am I wrong on my interpretation of "趣味悪い"?

• Why you call it slang, I am not sure. – l'électeur Jan 19 '16 at 23:33
  • @l'électeur I don't know how I formed my opinion about "趣味悪い", but I sense it as edgy, borderline offensive. That alone hints slang. Since "趣味" is "hobby" and "悪い" to "bad", so I think "bad hobby". That sounds like English slang. – david Jan 20 '16 at 3:50
  • @l'électeur I think everyone will have a good laugh if I can use "趣味悪い" correctly. But, since I think it can be offensive, I'd be playing with fire. So, I need to clear-up my understanding. – david Jan 20 '16 at 3:55

I'm pretty sure someone else can provide a more definitive answer, but here's what I know.

• If you want to use an adjective, like you are in your examples, you would use 悪趣味{あくしゅみ}.
  • I wouldn't use it to describe someone's tastes in foods. That sounds like "You have a bad sense of food," and it a bit awkward. It'd use 悪食{あくじき} or ゲテモノ好{す}き, both meaning "someone who likes bizarre/gross food".
  • It's perfectly fine to use with women. Just be careful who you use it with.
  • It's not slang, though 「趣味悪い」 is a bit colloquial. 「趣味が悪い」 would be the proper way of saying it.
  • You are right that it can be taking as impolite. However, it does not necessarily have to sound playful. You can use it in disgust if you wanted to. I would be careful using it, as people can take it as mocking.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.