Consider the following categories of bus numbers:

• Number only - 11
  • Number suffixed or prefixed with a character - 11E or E11
  • Character only - A

(Question) How common are buses with letters/characters in Japanese? Do letters come before or after the number? Can the characters be English letters or hiragana/katakana/kanji?

I am familiar with _番のバス where the blank is for the number of the bus.

(Question) How frozen is 番のバス? What happens if the blank is not a number. Do I change 番 if it is not a number and say A字のバス? What about the combination cases for bus 11E or E11?

If I were told 3番のバス, I would go to boarding location no. 3 rather than look for line no. 3. Are you sure you did not mean 号? – macraf Jan 19 '16 at 6:05
  • @macraf I did not learn about 号 being used with buses, so I don't know about that. – Flaw Jan 19 '16 at 12:14

(Question 1)

Buses in metropolitan areas are commonly (usually?) marked with numbers and letters. I don't know the statistical figure, but most buses have one number, possibly combined with one kanji or alphabet, followed by the destinations (eg. 茶51 秋葉原駅前, ②つくばセンター). Buses in rural areas may only have their destinations (eg. 湯涌温泉(行)).

(Question 2)

番 can only follow a number. 2番のバス is OK but 2のバス sounds a bit weird. A番のバス is wrong and Aのバス/Aと書かれたバス is correct. A字のバス is uncommon and sounds like "A-shaped bus" to me. E11番のバス is acceptable but E11のバス is better.

Note that 2番のバス may either mean a bus marked with 2 on the destination sign, or a bus coming to / departing from the platform number 2. It depends on the situation.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.