The way of turning 赤 into an adjective is adding い, but what does it mean when instead of a い you put a く?

I found it in this phrase:

私のリンゴは赤くありません。

I get the meaning but not the meaning of く.

Keep in mind that Japanese "adjectives" function differently from English adjectives. You are in this case asking us about a い-adjective, 赤い. Those adjectives differ from the な-adjectives, for example 有名{ゆうめい}な:

• The い or な is attached to those adjectives when used as epithets, i.e. they are attached to a noun:

有名な人、赤いリンゴ.

• な-adjectives are used with the copula, dropping the な:

この人は有名(です・でした・ではありません)

• い-adjectives are "conjugated", you can use them without modifying the copula (sometimes even remove it entirely)! In your example

このリンゴは赤い(です)。

If you to turn this sentence into a negative one, you modify the adjective, by appending ~くない, i.e. このリンゴは赤くない(です). See for example this page or this one.

このリンゴは赤いではありません。

is not a correct sentence.

Then, as mentioned in the related answer ~くありません is the polite form of ~くない. Thus, it is the polite negative form of the adjective.

• です isn't really a copula in 赤いです, it's a politeness marker: ① it doesn't inflect, the adjective does, ② the adjective is complete without it, ③ there is no *赤いだ. So in short, it doesn't do what a copula does, but it does mark the adjective as polite. – snailcar Mar 29 '18 at 19:09

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.