I was taught that the て form of the verb ある is あって, but I sometimes see the word ありまして acting in the same way. What's the difference and when would you use one or the other?

ありまして comes from あります, the polite form of ある. – Miss Lavelle Jan 18 '16 at 3:39
  • @MissLavelle I wasn't aware that the ます form could be conjugated on its own. I've tried to look into that, and I can't find any info about this for any verb aside from ある. And how is this different from just あって? – charlieshades Jan 18 '16 at 3:42
  • Blavius got to it before me, haha. – Miss Lavelle Jan 19 '16 at 2:27

「ありまして」is just a really polite form of 「あって」.

In the standard polite sentence, only the final verb is put into the polite -ます form, while the rest are in the regular dictionary forms:

朝ご飯を食べてシャワーを浴びました。

While often overkill, it is possible to put the other connecting verbs into the -ます form as well. The resulting「まして」form has the same function as the regular connective -て form, just adding extra politeness- which is why it is common in keigo sentences.

解説を読みましても、理解できません。

Also, although this isn't really a problem with ありまして, one thing you should be aware of is that you cannot use the -まして in a request with ください.

× 私の作った料理を食べてみましてください
○ 私の作った料理を食べてみてください

• 「朝ご飯を食べまして、シャワーを浴びました。」 does not look good. Do they teach you to say that in Japanese-as-a-foreign-language? – l'électeur Jan 18 '16 at 14:04
  • No, I was trying to show how it worked based off the first example sentence. I'm aware it's not really used (which I probably should note, shouldn't I.) – Blavius Jan 18 '16 at 14:10

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.