I'm getting confused with my と and my という again. I want to say:

Writing "A" sounds good but writing "B" sounds bad.

My attempt is:

「A」という書くのはいいそうけど、「B」という書くのは悪いそうです。

My main concern is how to join the phrase「A」to the 書く verb, but comments on how I've mangled the rest of the sentence would also be appreciated. Thanks

• People, feel free to down vote me for this, but I'm pretty sure it's neither 「と」 or  「と言う」. Instead, use 「を」. Also, I'm in agreement with @Sombrero with reviewing the comparisons. It will be this sentence much less choppy. – Miss Lavelle Jan 16 '16 at 23:36
    @MissLavelle I am afraid that 「を」 is not an option here. You can say 「メールを書く」 or 「手紙を書く」, but you can never say 「(an actual word/phrase/sentence)」を書く. – l'électeur Jan 17 '16 at 0:40
  • @l'électeur Shoot. I was afraid that might have been the case, haha. Well, I tried. I learned a lot from your answer though, so thank you. :) – Miss Lavelle Jan 17 '16 at 0:53

As far as grammar, the following is the main difference:

「~~と」 must be followed by a verb phrase. When it is not, the verb has intentionally been left unmentioned.

[手紙]{てがみ}に、「[好]{す}きです」[書]{か}いた。(書いた is a verb.)

「~~という」 must be followed by a noun or a form of nominalization.

「こんにちは」というあいさつは、[夜]{よる}にはしません。(あいさつ is a noun)

With this basic knowledge, let us take a look at your sentence.

「A」という書くのはいいそうけど、「B」という書くのは[悪]{わる}いそうです。

Among the few mistakes contained (sorry but gotta be honest), the most serious one is the 「A」という書く part. You cannot say that as 書く is a verb.

You can say 「A」と書く or 「A」という[文]{ぶん} or 「A」というフレーズ. You need a noun to follow 「A」という.

(Of course, you can say 「A」という文を書く as you already have a noun following 「A」という. Are you following me? No pun.)

*****You might opt not to read further in order to concentrate on your more immediate question. I am just pointing out the following because I can't pretend to not notice mistakes.

You cannot say 「いいそうけど」, or more precisely, 「そうけど」. You must say 「そうけど」, 「そうですけど」, etc.

「B」という書く is also naturally incorrect. (Explained above)

「[悪]{わる}い」 is not the best or most natural word choice here because it sounds too direct for the Japanese taste. We would use 「よくない」 or 「[間違]{まちが}っている」 instead.

Examples of correct sentences:

「A」と書くのはいいそうですが、「B」と書くのはよくないそうです。

Notice I used 「が」 instead of 「けど」. Using 「けど」 is 100% grammatical but it sounds too childish (or informal).

「A」という文は[正]{ただ}しいそうですが、「B」という文は間違っているそうです。

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.