I'm trying to determine the most appropriate kanji for タコ (octopus), and have come across three possibilities: 章魚, , and .

My question: How common is each variant, and are their meanings truly equivalent? For example:

• 英語でタコは「octopus」です。
  • 英語で章魚は「octopus」です。
  • 英語で蛸は「octopus」です。
  • 英語で鮹は「octopus」です。

My understanding is that any of the above could be considered correct (though some would seem more unusual than others) and that they all have the exact same meaning.

• Never learned to write たこ/タコ in kanji in school. And I went to school in the only Japanese-speaking country in the world, in case you are wondering. – l'électeur Jan 17 '16 at 10:10
  • @l'électeur Yes, my impression was that it's not usually written in kanji. To clarify the intent of my question slightly: Imagine a written test where one of the questions was "How would you write 'Octopus' in Japanese?" - would the kanji examples given above be considered "technically correct, but unusual", or simply "wrong"? – GoBusto Jan 17 '16 at 10:27

If you look at 漢字, then 蛸 is by far the most common option. This is confirmed by the frequency data in the BCCWJ (Balanced Corpus of Contemporary Written Japanese, via http://nlb.ninjal.ac.jp):

タコ  676 results
蛸   129 results
ダコ   32 results
章魚   10 results
鮹     2 results
鱆     0 results

タコ is still a lot more popular than any 漢字 version. (But that's to be expected since, like many other 漢字 for animals, 蛸 is not 常用漢字 and 熟字訓 readings are very rare.)

Of course, 蛸 can also be written in ひらがな. It's not easy to get numbers, but even looking at たこやき alone, we already get big numbers:

たこ焼 244 results
タコ焼  39 results
蛸焼    1 result

Just something to keep in mind when choosing whether to write in 漢字 or not.

Edit.

The dictionary 大辞林 entry for たこ is

たこ [1]
蛸・〈章魚〉・鮹】
[...]

The notation means that the kanji is not 常用漢字 and the angled brackets mean that the reading is 熟字訓. As such, writing たこ as 蛸 or 章魚 or 鮹 wouldn't be seen as incorrect, but unusual.

There's also a parsed version of BCCWJ available, and although parsers like this aren't perfect, we can look at the numbers they give: 676 タコ, 129 , 32 ダコ, 10 章魚, and 2 (If you haven't accepted the agreement, you may need to click the link again after doing so; go to the 基本 tab and click 書字形 to see the numbers for yourself.) – snailboat Jan 16 '16 at 19:32
  • @snailboat Ooh, great. More than half was a reasonable estimate then. – Earthliŋ Jan 16 '16 at 20:42

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.