Typically, you would say 「彼は寿司が好きです。」 to say "He likes sushi." But assuming the "topic" of the sentence was something else and you couldn't use は without repeating it (if that's an option), what particles would you use? …彼◯寿司◯好きです。

Edit: Should also clarify that I mean the subject is necessary. Removing 彼 or the person's name is not an option.

Just use a pause, although this would be informal.

• 彼、寿司好き.

Although, I don't see why you can't repeat using a は.

• 食べ物は彼は寿司が好きです。

Why is this not an option for you? Can you give examples or more context?

• This is just something I thought of recently and didn't know what was appropriate. I was under the impression that you shouldn't use は more than once per clause, but if that's okay, then that answers my question. Thank you! – charlieshades Jan 14 '16 at 20:33
  • The sentence 食べ物は彼は寿司が好きです sounds awkward or even incorrect to me. I would say something like 食べ物では彼は寿司が好きです or 彼の好きな食べ物は寿司です, but in the former, it is arguable that the は in 食べ物では is not a topic marker but a contrastive particle, so I am not sure it answers the OP’s question. – Tsuyoshi Ito Jan 17 '16 at 15:08

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.