A Japanese-addict friend of mine recently told me that a possible translation for "you're welcome" in Japanese was "mū", but I must admit I was a bit dubious about that since I had never seen it nor heard it. I looked it up and found no entries about it anywhere.

Is it a mistake?

"Japanese addict"... So a weeaboo, correct? It's likely she's misinformed as I've never heard this in all my time of studying. – Pleiades Jan 13 '16 at 15:54
    I have never heard "mū" as the meaning of "you're welcome". I think "you're welcome" is almost translated as どういたしまして. – Yuuichi Tam Jan 13 '16 at 16:00

It is possible if the individual/character answering is: male(most likely), stoic, non-talkative, old-fashion (think samurai-stereotype of old) answering a 'thank you' from someone. (Most novels I read with characters answering like this would fit this description).

Might be more of a うむ~ but it could be むー depending on the writer or character.

Great answer! Could not think of that one myself! – l'électeur Jan 14 '16 at 2:30
  • I think samurai like you said say うむ but they don't say むー. – Yuuichi Tam Jan 14 '16 at 15:14

Definitely a mistake. The only time I hear of むー is in comics where it's the sound effect for thinking (I think you use hmmm in English). So, my theory is this person heard a conversation like...

Akimori: I did your laundry for you.

Yamada: Hmmm...but I thought I asked Ken to do it.

And might have thought むー was "you're welcome" when it was just the person thinking about something, haha.

This むー is pronounced as a long 'm' sound, not as it's spelt. Of course, your answer still holds if they read such a conversation. – Aeon Akechi Jan 13 '16 at 21:16
  • Yeah, that's what I was thinking. I mean, if it was a direct むう in speech or whatever then I would have no idea, haha. – Miss Lavelle Jan 14 '16 at 3:21
    The sounds effect for thinking in Japanese are うーん,んー、んーと. I have never heard むー. – Yuuichi Tam Jan 14 '16 at 6:06
  • It would seem you're right. thejadednetwork.com/sfx/search/… My bad... Hehe – Miss Lavelle Jan 14 '16 at 14:12

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.