I'm trying to say, "I went to Oarai Town in Ibaraki Prefecture last year."

昨年に大洗町茨城県に行きました。

Is there supposed to be a comma or particle (perhaps で) between the city and prefecture? Please let me know if there is a better way to write this sentence.

Do they teach you to say 「昨年に」 in Japanese-as-a-foreign-language? I ask because I see that a lot here. It is definitely just 「昨年」 for us native speakers. – l'électeur Jan 12 '16 at 0:11
    @l'électeur From the textbooks I've seen, I get the impression that students are typically taught "whenever you use a 'time word', always add に as a particle", and only later learn that not using に is often more natural. – senshin Jan 12 '16 at 6:50

I can't comment yet on the site (reputation) but the Japanese addressing system goes from largest to smallest. I would change the order and use の but I'll defer to anyone else with more experience.

昨年に茨城県の大洗町に行きました。

The の is probably not necessary... I always see it written as Prefecture + City. – Orlando B. Manta Jan 12 '16 at 0:02
    @OrlandoB.Manta It actually sounds more natural with 「の」 here. In address writing, however, 「の」 is not used. – l'électeur Jan 12 '16 at 0:15
    Conversationally, I think it is more usual to drop the 県; just 「茨城の大洗」. – Brian Chandler Jan 12 '16 at 4:42

Your Answer

By clicking "Post Your Answer", you acknowledge that you have read our updated terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy, and that your continued use of the website is subject to these policies.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.