Both expressions seem to be related to show a strong opposition to do something by rather doing something else. But what is the difference between them ?

Additional question: both seem to express speaker point of view. Can we use those structures to express other feelings ?

I assume that you already know the difference between いい and ましだ in isolation, and focus on the difference in the structures:

(A) XするくらいならYする/したほうがいい
(B) XするくらいならYする/したほうがましだ

As you wrote, both (A) and (B) mean that doing Y is better than doing X although both are bad, and this is often used as a statement of how bad doing X is. But I think that I feel a few differences in nuance between (A) and (B).

First, simpler parts:

• (B) is less formal than (A) because ましだ is a little colloquial word.
  • (B) puts more emphasis on the badness of the two options than (A). This is because ましだ already means “less bad” (better but still bad) even without the ~するくらいなら part.

But I think that there is another difference. I will try to explain it although I still have difficulty getting hold of it.

While both (A) and (B) can be just a statement of a fact or an opinion, (A) can also be a suggestion for the listener to do Y. I will use nomithekid’s examples:

(1A) そんな仕事をするくらいなら、会社をやめたほうがいい。
(1B) そんな仕事をするくらいなら、会社をやめたほうがましだ。

(1A) can be either:

• a mere statement of the speaker’s opinion about how bad the job is, or
  • a suggestion for the listener to quit the company, given that the alternative is doing that bad job.

I think that (1B) is interpreted only as a statement and not a suggestion.

• Thanks for the explication, it's clearer ! Regarding Y alternative, is there is a difference using dictionary form or past form ? For instance : そんな仕事をするくらいなら、会社をやめたほうがいい。 そんな仕事をするくらいなら、会社をやめるほうがいい。 – Khana Jan 14 '16 at 6:14
  • If we want to express an alternative in the past, X stays in dictionary form and it is ましだ or いい that are used in past tense ? – Khana Jan 14 '16 at 6:30

Although both ~ましだ and ~いい indicate the better option of the alternatives, ~ましだ indicates the better of undesirable alternatives, i.e. the least objectionable choice.

That is to say ~ましだ has the added nuance that even though it is better, it is still not satisfactory.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.