While going through one of my study sets I created back in December containing words only marked as N2, I came across [正方形]{せいほうけい}, which was translated as "square". However, I always was taught and remember [四角]{しかく} to mean "square", so my question is, what's the difference?

They are used in different contexts with different but overlapping meanings.

• 正方形 is a mathematical term for a square (a polygon with four sides of equal length and four angles of 90 degrees).
  • 四角 is a daily-use word for a quadrilateral (a polygon with four sides), and we never use it in mathematics (unless it is part of a compound word). However, in the daily language, often we do not make a distinction between the case where we mean a quadrilateral in general and the case where we mean a more specific kind of quadrilateral. Therefore, we often just say 四角 when we mean a square. This is probably why you were taught that 四角 means a square.

There is also a word 四角形.

• 四角形 is a mathematical term for a quadrilateral. But when it is used in the daily language, 四角形 is just a little more formal version of 四角, and it does not necessarily mean a general quadrilateral.

The difference between 四角 and 四角形 is analogous to that between 三角 and 三角形: What's the difference between 三角 and 三角形?

四角 is a diagram which is framed in by four lines on flat, so oblong figure and trapezoid are 四角.

正方形 is a kind of 四角 and it's called "square" in English. It is framed in by four same lines and angles.

• So if I'm understanding this correctly, 四角 means something more like a four-sided polygon. Alright then. Thanks. ^-^ – Pleiades Jan 10 '16 at 4:25

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.