I'm attempting to translate parts of my 完全マスター N2 textbook just for the practice, and even though I've already gotten past this section, the meaning of [国]{くに}の[母]{はは} still eludes me. I don't like using Google Translate, and I can't find it in my dictionary.

Also if you could critique my translation, that would be very helpful.

[国]{くに}の[母]{はは}に[電話]{でんわ}をかけた。[母]{はは}の[声]{こえ}を[聞]{き}いたとたん、[涙]{なみだ}があふれてきた。

"I spoke to my mother over the phone. The second I heard her voice, I started to sob with joy."

As shown in @choco's comment above, 「[国]{くに}」 in this context means "one's birthplace", "home province", etc. It is mostly used when one is staying far away from where one was born and raised but is still in the same country/nation.

When I am in another prefecture, I am sometimes asked 「国はどこ?」,「お国はどちらですか。」, etc. to which I reply 「[名古屋]{なごや}です」.

So, 「国の母」 means "my mother back home". You yourself are living away from that place/region now, but your mother is still there.

When you talk about people who are known/apparent Japanese, it means their home provinces, but foreigners, home country, of course. – broccoli forest Jan 10 '16 at 4:18

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.