I tried to quickly Google and search for this here, but couldn't find anything relevant. Basically I want to know whether there is any common word for Japanese conversation; e.g. in the context of speaking about a Japanese conversation course, or otherwise.

I think 英会話 is special in many way. For example, 仏会話 or 独会話 aren't really used. For other language courses, you can use [language name] + 会話, e.g. フランス語会話 or ドイツ語会話 or 中国語会話, or even 外国語会話 in general. (Of course 英 is already special in that other language names are usually formed as [country name] + 語.)

英会話 probably meant "conversation in English" initially, but it has become almost synonymous with courses/classes teaching English conversational skills. Of course English is also special in that it is (at least statistically speaking) the only foreign language taught; and English is taught with an infamously poor focus on conversational skills, necessitating 英会話 classes.

I don't think the same is necessarily true for other languages, so to describe a French conversation class, you might want to explicitly say フランス語会話コース (or レッスン).

I guess that 日本語会話 is something not really taught to native speakers, so you might just use a more generic "Japanese language course" instead, for example 日本語講座, 日本語集中コース, 日本語勉強会, or whatever best describes your class. If it's a class really focussing on conversational skills, then maybe 日本語会話コース (or レッスン).

I cannot think of any other than 日本語会話 as the translation of Japanese conversation and an equivalent to '英会話.' I think it better not to tinker around other alternatives wastefully.

I came across a Japanese teacher talking about a special event for non-native speakers speaking in Japanese. The event is called "日本語でしゃべらないと", which apparently means "have to chat in Japanese".

You know what that is a rip-off of, right? – l'électeur Jan 8 '16 at 11:30
  • @(commenter above me) unfortunately not. What is it a rip-off of? – Andrew Grimm Jan 8 '16 at 21:32
    There used to be a popular TV program on NHK named 「英語でしゃべらナイト」. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eigo_de_Shabera_Night The 「ナイト」 part is a pun as it was a night program. – l'électeur Jan 9 '16 at 0:36

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.