I've looked at previous posts made on conditionals but still have a bit of trouble with なら. I was hoping someone could tell me the differences in meaning/nuance between the following sentences. The first two sentences came from A Dictionary of Basic Japanese Grammar (p.283) and apparently do exist, but the the last two I made up and would like to know if they work at all and why/why not.

テープレコーダーを買うならテープをくれるはずです。(in dictionary)

テープレコーダーを買ったならテープをくれるはずです。(in dictionary)

テープレコーダーを買ったならテープをくれたはずです。(made up)

テープレコーダーを買うならテープをくれたはずです。(made up)

Also can you have 買っている/買っていた and くれている/くれていた? This is probably a really stupid question but I'm obsessed with knowing all the possibilities.

よろしくおねがいします!

Here are my interpretations of the four sentences, in the listed order.

(1) If [you] (are going to) buy a tape recorder, [I] expect [them] to give [you] tapes. (Statement of expected outcome. Here I would interpret the tapes to come with the recorder.)

(2) If [you] bought a tape recorder, [I] expect [them] to give [you] tapes. (Statement of expected outcome. Tapes are supplied to those who bought recorders in the past.)

(3) If [you] bought a tape recorder, [they] should have given [you] tapes. (Implies the expected outcome did not occur. They recorder was bought, but no tapes were supplied.)

(4) If [you] are going to buy a tape recorder, [they] should have given [you] tapes. (Implies the expected outcome did not occur. Tapes should have been given to someone with the intent/promise of buying a recorder in the future.)

買っている/くれている to me implies a steady/regular purchase, say a monthly shipment, for example. It than makes sense that one could expect a steady shipment of tapes to be supplied with it.

買っていた/くれていた is like (3) above but for regular shipments.

Edit: I realized 買っていた/くれていた does make sense.

• Thank you for such a detailed answer, I really do appreciate it :) – Faolan Jan 4 '16 at 19:31
  • I read somewhere that for AならB, if B is past tense then A needs to express a past state or event. Would this mean A needs to be past tense? What do you make of this? Thanks again :) – Faolan Jan 4 '16 at 19:49
  • Can you try to find the source for that? I never heard anything like it. – Espen Nielsen Jan 4 '16 at 19:53
  • It was in the Dictionary of Basic Japanese Grammar. But as for your explanation of 「テープレコーダーを買うならテープをくれたはずです。」 it makes perfect sense to me so I'm not sure why they say it. – Faolan Jan 4 '16 at 19:57

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.