Firstly, is "ダウンアンダー" the correct spelling? I think it is, based on the Japanese Wikipedia articles メン・アット・ワーク and ツアー・ダウンアンダー , but I could be mistaken.

But apart from that, is the average non-Australian Japanese speaker likely to understand the term, which is used as slang to refer to Australia (even though there's plenty of other southern hemisphere countries)?

• Does anyone outside of Australia use "down under" to mean Australia? I've never heard it used that way. – Blavius Jan 3 '16 at 16:58
  • @Blavius that's probably my most common way to refer to the land of kangaroos and koala chlamydia – MichaelChirico Jan 3 '16 at 20:19
    @Blavius Quite common in America (at least on the east coast), though perhaps only used jokingly/mockingly. – Darius Jahandarie Jan 3 '16 at 22:07

The short answer would be a simple 'No'. Seriously, I do not think that the word 「ダウンアンダー」 would exist in the vocabulary of more than even 1% of us.

The most common name for your country in Japanese is 「オーストラリア」 by a landslide, followed by 「[豪州]{ごうしゅう}」. In people's daily conversations, it is 「オーストラリア」 nearly 100% of the time. 「豪州」 is kind of "common" in the printed media because it is a neat space-saver.

「ダウンアンダー」? One used to hear/see the word when Men At Work were popular (But that is like 30 years ago!). I suppose we just never registered it as a household word.

(I have personally used both 「ダウンアンダー」 and "Down Under" a few times in my conversations with Australians living in Japan, and I seemed to surprise them each time for even using those words actively as a Japanese person who has never been to ダウンアンダー. This should probably tell you something about how uncommon 「ダウンアンダー」 is around here.)

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.