If you look up なんだか in a dictionary it's translated as "for some reason" or "somehow" but sometimes it seems it's being used more in the sense of "kinda" or "somewhat". How exactly should I interpret it? Is it distinct from なぜか in meaning? For instance, if a person says "なんだか嬉しい", are they saying "I'm kinda happy" or "I feel happy, for some reason"? What about when a person says "なんだかとても嬉しい"? Does なんだか indicate degree of intensity at all?

You shouldn't interpret it "exactly" at all, because it conveys a sense of vagueness, a sense of not knowing quite why or how the current situation came about. It is indeed a conversational filler, and it looks as though you have understood it well. (If by "interpret" you mean "translate into English", then that is a whole different (big!) question -- translating the atmosphere of dialogue is very difficult.)

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.