The sentence is from Dragon ball, Mutenrôshi, the teacher of Gokû and Krilin, is telling someone about how good his pupils became. He then says this :

とくに悟空はもともとの野生というか天性の強さもてつだって信じられんようなパワーを秘めておる。

I believe てつだって means something along the lines of "in addition", therefore I believe the second part of the sentence means :

In addition to his natural strength, he is hiding an incredible power.

Am i right so far?

Regarding というか, I found that it means something like "in other words", "or rather"... the idea behind being rephrasing what has been said in another/a better/a more accurate manner. Doesn't seem to fit here though...

Thanks for your time.

2 Answers 2

The phrase [noun]も手伝って【てつだって】 (lit. with [noun] helping too; with the help of [noun]) is used to cite the [noun] as one of the factors contributing to a particular situation. In the present sentence, "thanks (partly) to" might be a more apt translation.

As for というか, it's indeed true that it indicates the rephrasing of the preceding word/phrase, and this meaning applies fine enough here too.

(Especially in the case of Goku,) thanks (partly) to his fundamental wild - or should I say innate - strength, Goku has an incredible power hidden within.

• Hi, great answer, thanks :) In the manga, it's definitely 野生, not 野性 though...
    – Alox
    Dec 28, 2015 at 0:10
  • So, the meaning is "his wild, primal, or should I say natural strength" right? Without the rephrasing, the would the phrase be "もともとの野生の強さも...”? With もともと modifying 強さ and not 野生.
    – Alox
    Dec 28, 2015 at 0:16
  • Looking at it again, I'm now pretty sure 野生の強さ(wild strength) works too. I'll take back what I said about it and edit out that part. I'm sorry I misled you! Without the rephrasing, I'd say もともとの would modify the entire phrase 野生の強さ (of which fact my translation failed to show).
    – goldbrick
    Jan 7, 2016 at 19:12

"Especially Gokuu's original wild...how should I say... nature's strength is helped by a method of hiding his belief in power".

Corrections? I can't comment to add suggestions to the post.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .