Take the sentence:

バッサリいこうぜ!うっとうしいだろ[長]{なげ}えとよ。

The first, from context, I think means "You're gonna get a haircut!" I can't find バッサリ in the dictionary, though. The second probably says "It's seems irritating at that length." I'm not sure how the filler えと functions here. Especially with the particle よ.

• Thanks for the clarifying edit. Unfortunately there was no furigana on it in the text. So it's my best guess. – johnnd Dec 25 '15 at 15:54
    This isn't 長 followed by えと; 長い has a very colloquial pronunciation なげえ, and then とよ follows that. – Aeon Akechi Dec 25 '15 at 16:12
  • @Nothingatall Please write it in an answer. – 永劫回帰 Dec 25 '15 at 16:17
    The と in 「長いと(うっとうしい)」 is not a quotative particle. It's a 接続助詞(conjunctive particle) -> See #❷-2 dictionary.goo.ne.jp/jn/154670/meaning/m0u/%E3%81%A8. – Chocolate Dec 25 '15 at 17:02
    @変幻出没 I just don't know how to explain it. I do understand the sentence. – Aeon Akechi Dec 25 '15 at 17:25

[長]{なげ}え is a colloquial, masculine and a bit vulgar way of pronouncing [長]{なが}い.
(Compare: うるさい→うるせえ, しらない→しらねえ, たべたい→たべてえ)

The と in 長いと is a 接続助詞(conjunctive particle), meaning "if~~" or "when~~".

So the なげえと(長いと) here means "If (your hair is) long" or "When (your hair is) long".

バッサリいこうぜ!うっとうしいだろ長えとよ。(≒長いとうっとうしいだろ。)
Let's cut it short. (Because) It's annoying if it's long, isn't it?

And I think the よ at the end is #❷ 間投助詞 -2 in デジタル大辞泉

• Thank you for your clear explanation. Being very new to the language, things like colloquial pronunciations trip me up easily. Oh, so いっこう is the "completely" definition here. I was somehow thinking of the verb to go. – johnnd Dec 25 '15 at 18:12
    @johnnd Oh the いこう(ぜ) is 行こう, the volitional form of the verb 行く. Literally "Let's go~~." Here it's like "Let's do~~." – Chocolate Dec 25 '15 at 18:20
  • OK, so then バッサリ implies a short haircut? – johnnd Dec 25 '15 at 19:16
    @johnnd Yes, バッサリ/ばっさり(+と) is an adverb for cutting something (eg. hair, bough, budget etc.) off short, with a single stroke, or drastically. Here it indicates cutting your hair short (decisively/drastically) – Chocolate Dec 26 '15 at 6:41
  • We call both interjectional usage and filler one "間投助詞" but on a second thought we should distinguish them. Anyway, these usages of よ are slang in Standard Japanese. – user4092 Jun 8 '16 at 10:04

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.