This question already has an answer here:

永沢君たちって、...なんていうかジメジメしてるところが怒られるもとになってるでしょ?
As for Nakasawa's crew,...how do I put it? Their gloominess becomes the source of them getting told off. Right? (my best-guess translation)

I thought してるところ was "in the middle of doing", but I can't get the sentence to work with that translation. "The source of being told off is 'in the middle of'/while/during being gloomy"? The implication seems to be that they only get told off when they are gloomy.

Have I totally messed up the overall translation? Could you please clarify how ところ is working here? Many thanks.

marked as duplicate by broccoli forest, Tsuyoshi Ito, Community Dec 21 '15 at 17:03

This question has been asked before and already has an answer. If those answers do not fully address your question, please ask a new question.

してるところ would mean "in the middle of doing" if the term before that was a verb. E.g. I'm in the middle of driving right now (今運転してるところ).

However, it can also mean "that part". E.g. The gloomy part of you. So in this case, your "best-guess translation" is correct!

But 「ジメジメしてる」 is certainly a verb phrase, too. You might want to explain the decisive difference between 「ジメジメしてる」 and 「運転してる」. – l'électeur Dec 21 '15 at 12:57

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.