This question already has an answer here:

In the haiku from Bashō,

おもしろき

秋の朝寝や

亭主ぶり

The last line, 亭主ぶり, is translated as "kind host" by one source. Does ぶり actually mean "kind" in this context?

marked as duplicate by 永劫回帰, istrasci, sqrtbottle, Amani Kilumanga, snailboat Dec 15 '15 at 2:11

This question has been asked before and already has an answer. If those answers do not fully address your question, please ask a new question.

• hi kuo, thanks for filling in the whole haiku in kanji and hiragana. perhaps you can assist me with figuring out how to install such japanese writing symbols on my apple? btw, your photo reminds me of crossing under the tracks leaving shibuya station. clare – user11952 Dec 14 '15 at 21:41
  • on 2nd thought....i will figure it out on my own. thanks anyway. – user11952 Dec 14 '15 at 21:51
  • sorry I was so slow on my reply. If you have a macbook, go under system preferences, then keyboard. Once under keyboard, click on the tab "input sources". Hit the +, and find Japanese, and then select that. It works for romaji and kana (most people are fine with that), and comes with a great in-built dictionary when you type. If you have any questions just message me and I can help! – sqrtbottle Dec 15 '15 at 21:15

Adjectives come before the noun, so "ぶり" could not mean "kind" in this context. Some other possible translations are:

• According to http://nihongo.j-talk.com/, "ぶり" translates to a species of butterfly.
  • "-ぶり" is also a suffix meaning way, attitude, or manner, so "亭主ぶり" could mean "husband-like manner", or "host-like manner".

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.