Does an adverb come before or after the verb? I'm writing (or at least trying to) the sentence "Never step inside of/on the tokonoma." Now, knowing how to write that sentence specifically would be great, but I would really love to know: in general, where does the adverb go in the "subject-object-verb" sentence format??

In Japanese verbs always come last (except for poetry and in such cases that is often a noun which concludes the sentence). Which means that adverb always come before the verb.

Examples: (adverbs in bold)

• 速く走る : to run fast
  • 早く起きる : to wake up early
  • 恐らく雨が降るでしょう : it will probably rain
  • 日本語を話せるように一生懸命勉強している。: I work hard in order to become able to speak Japanese

The adverb of interest here is never. The "big" problem is that there is no one-to-one correspondence between never and a Japanese word (whereas in many romance languages there are direct equivalents: mai (in Italian), nunca or jamás in Spanish, jamais in French, etc.)

But if you look at it, "Never step inside of/on the tokonoma." is an order, or more precisely an interdiction. Thus, it can be rewritten this way: "(No matter the situation,) do not step on the tokonoma."

To express a negative order in Japanese, you can add な to the 終止形 (the form used to conclude a sentence) of a verb.

Examples:

• 飲む : to drink → 飲むな Do not drink
  • 来る : to come → 来るな Do not come.

Nevertheless adding な is very direct.

An other possibility is to append てはいけない to the 未然形 of the verb. (Literally, if you do so, it won't be any good)

• 飲む → 飲んではいけない You'd better not drink
  • 来る → 来てはいけない You'd better not come

More softly, you can append こと after the negation of the verb.

• 飲まないこと → You should not drink
  • 来ないこと → You should not come

If you want to be polite.

• 踏む (step on) → 床の間を、お踏みにならないように(ご注意ください)。 Please make sure not stepping on the tokonoma.

I am sure there are other ways to say it.

I would like to point out that although Japanese is indeed a SOV language, the rules of word ordering are fairly free: as you have particles that provide hints as to which role the word fulfils, you do not need a precise word order.

Setting this aside, these recommendations will help you:

Thus they will often be placed:

• At the beginning of a sentence, when they qualify it entirely
  • Before a noun, to qualify it
  • Right before a verb, when they modify the action.

In your case, I would probably place it at the beginning:

絶対{ぜったい}に床の間を踏{ふ}まないでください

But I guess it would be acceptable before the verb:

床の間を決{けっ}して踏まないでください

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.