⊂((・x・))⊃

I see it in chat in some multiplayer games from Japanese players

I'm voting to close this question as off-topic because this is an emoji, not Japanese language. – istrasci Dec 11 '15 at 23:44
    @istraci Isn't an emoji a non-textual character like 🚃 whereas an emoticon is the use of characters in an artistic way like :)? – Andrew Grimm Dec 12 '15 at 1:37
    @Sanandrea see this meta post regarding this question and Kaomoji identification requests. – Amani Kilumanga Dec 12 '15 at 11:25
    @Sanandrea On this site, the community decides what sorts of questions are on-topic by voting. It takes 5 votes to close a question, but so far only 2 close votes have been cast, while 3 people have voted to leave it open. And in the meta discussion about whether these sorts of questions are on-topic, several users supported an answer saying they should be allowed. So although there's some disagreement, at the moment it looks like your question is considered on-topic and will remain open :-) – snailcar Dec 12 '15 at 17:27
    I'm voting to close this question as off-topic because this isn't about the Japanese language – sqrtbottle Dec 23 '15 at 12:47

The kaomoji ⊂((・x・))⊃ doesn't have a fixed universal meaning. It always depends on a preference of a person who uses it and the situation where the kaomoji is used.

There are at least three possibilities.

First, ⊂((・x・))⊃ may represent a rabbit. Especially, Miffy in some cases. ⊂ and ⊃ are her/his ears or arms. A simple kamoji (・x・) has been thought Miffy for years. So people who are familiar with (・x・) tend to think ⊂((・x・))⊃ a variation of the Miffy face kaomoji (・x・).

Second, ⊂((・x・))⊃ might represent a monkey face. ⊂ and ⊃ are her/his ears. But in many cases, a monkey face is expressed by using some other kaomoji like this.

⊂((・⊥・))⊃

Third, ⊂((・x・))⊃ may represent a human or a personificated animal (rabbit in most cases) who is flying. ⊂ and ⊃ are her/his arms. The onomatopoeia for this kaomoji is usually ぶーん or ブーン.

ぶーん⊂((・x・))⊃

Sometimes s/he is actually flying, and sometimes s/he is pretending to be flying with her/his arms since s/he is not a bird and can't fly actually. The kaomoji with this meaning is used when someone comes or goes to somewhere. For example,

ちょっと行ってくる⊂((・x・))⊃

indicates that the speaker is going by flying or feeling flying.

Some people use ⊂((・x・))⊃ to express that they are bored or have nothing to do. S/he is flying because s/he has nothing else to do in this case.

In any case, the point is that the kaomoji ⊂((・x・))⊃ is a face which doesn't show any obvious emotion. So, it could express any kind of emotions which a speaker has. So if you really want to understand what the speaker means using ⊂((・x・))⊃, you should understand the context correctly.

By the way, Japanese symbols, such as ⊂((・x・))⊃ etc., are called kaomoji in Japanese.

Emoji ([絵文字]{え・も・じ}) is something like these.

enter image description here

Kaomoji ([顔文字]{かお・も・じ}) is something like these.

U・x・U dog or rabbit

@(・●・)@ koala

@ 'ェ' @ sheep

ϵ( 'Θ' )϶ fugu

( ´ ▽ ` )ノ human raising her/his left hand

The default Japanese keyboards on iOS contain all of these kaomoji above, including

⊂((・x・))⊃.

So it's easy for people who have iPhone or iPad to use them these days. (Sorry, I don't know anything about android default keyboards.) You might see these kinds of kaomoji more in chat of mobile app.

Flying plus koala? Maybe it's a dropbear! – Andrew Grimm Dec 12 '15 at 5:13
  • @AndrewGrimm haha( ´ ▽ ` ) it could be. Most native Japanese speakers don't know what a dropbear is, though. – HiruneDiver Dec 12 '15 at 6:45
  • @HiruneDiver yes, I wondered how the japanese team players wrote this kaomoji so fast. So if it already in the iOS keyboard now it explains everything. And I was wondering why it appeared on almost all messages. Thank you! – Sanandrea Dec 12 '15 at 11:11
  • なんという的確な回答((((;゚Д゚)))))))!ミッフィーであってると思います!androidでもiOSでも日本語のキーボードなら簡単に顔文字が出せるんですよ! – fa11enprince Feb 20 '17 at 11:59

It's a monkey emoji. There's a few pages online that explain it, this is one: http://detail.chiebukuro.yahoo.co.jp/qa/question_detail/q1084135540

No special meanings, just a character like Miffy spreading its arms!

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.