Here are some Japanese sentences:

Aisu-kōhī-o kudasai (Please give me iced coffee)
Mizu-o kudasai (Please give me water)
Kippu kudasai (Please give me a ticket)

Why doesn't the last sentence use the o marker? Is it a misprint or is there a rule to it?

I suppose the last sentence is a misprint.

Case markers play the crucially important roles to indicate the relationship of the preceding nouns to the verb of a sentence or a clause. However, they could be omitted when it is easy to assume the meaning of a sentence from the vocabularies.

I do not know why the last sentence should be considered to be a misprint, given what you wrote in the second paragraph. – Tsuyoshi Ito Dec 7 '15 at 17:32
    @Tsuyoshi Ito I thought the sentences were from the textbook. If it's from the textbook, it is a misprint because case particles are given weight in teaching Japanese as a second language. If it's not from the textbook, it is not a misprint. – nomithekid Dec 7 '15 at 22:53
    @big_smile In conversation, yes. Although, I would suggest you to keep using it if you are at the beginner level. Japanese particles are not easy to distinguish the functions. – nomithekid Dec 7 '15 at 23:04
    Perfect, just in case anyone encounters this, the book was Learn Japanese in your car. – big_smile Dec 8 '15 at 12:27
    nomithekid: You are basically saying, “You can omit を and say きっぷください in spoken Japanese in the real world, but because a textbook cannot show the real language, it must be a misprint if it appears in a textbook.” I do not know where your belief comes from. – Tsuyoshi Ito Dec 8 '15 at 14:40

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.