Do na-adjectives need a な before a は?

もっと きれいなは どうですか。

もっと きれいは どうですか。

Which is correct?

Personally I think な is needed as the sentence is a shorter form of もっと きれいな ハンドバッグは どうですか。(replace ハンドバッグ with any noun). References say to use な in front of modified nouns, but nothing about は particles. I have tried Googling for もっと (na-adj)なは but I am still not sure.

You need to nominalize the na-adjective きれい by appending の: もっときれいなはどうですか。. See also: japanese.stackexchange.com/q/4795, japanese.stackexchange.com/q/19514. – senshin Dec 6 '15 at 5:23
    I think some linguists would suggest distinguishing pronomial の from nominalizing の. See A Dictionary of Basic Japanese Grammar (Makino & Tsutsui) p.315. – snailcar Dec 6 '15 at 5:40
  • @senshin I see. So the bottom one would be preferable, then? – rhyaeris Dec 6 '15 at 11:28
    @rhyaeris Neither of your two proposed sentences is grammatical, and I don't think either one sounds "less ungrammatical" than the other. – senshin Dec 6 '15 at 23:39

(The question was answered in the comment section; therefore, I will community-wiki this.)

もっと きれいなは どうですか。

もっと きれいは どうですか。

Which is correct?

Neither is, unfortunately.

The correct sentence that is shortest and most natural would be:

「もっときれいなはどうですか。」 ("How about a prettier one?")

This is because you cannot attach a 「は」 to an adjective without nominalizing the adjective first.

Also correct but somewhat colloquial/slangy would be:

「もっときれいなやつはどうですか。」

Not that I recommend that you use 「やつ」 actively, but you will see/hear it quite often.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.