What does マナーもいっしょに「携帯」 mean?

This is the title of an article in J501 that talks about how people should watch when and where they use their cellphones. I get the text but can't make sense of the title. Is there any way to say this in natural English?

I also can't make sense of the related マナーもいっしょに携帯しましょう. "Let's have our manners also cellphone together" is my best guess, but it's definitely not very usable English.

@TheWanderingCoder It sounds 100% natural. – l'électeur Dec 4 '15 at 0:26
    Hint: Look up 携帯 in a dictionary. It has another meaning than “cellphone.” – Tsuyoshi Ito Dec 4 '15 at 0:27
    @TsuyoshiIto So a pun along the lines of "Carry your manners [with your cell phone]"? Just confused grammatically more than anything. – idlackage Dec 4 '15 at 0:30
  • I think you got the meaning. – Tsuyoshi Ito Dec 4 '15 at 0:36

From goo辞書

けい‐たい【携帯】

[名](スル)

1. 身につけたり、手に持ったりすること。「非常食を―する」
  2. 《「ケータイ」と書くことが多い》「携帯電話」の略。

"携帯する" as a verb, means to carry something portable, like a mobile phone (see number 1 above).

The sentence is a bit of a pun, where it uses the word "携帯" to not mean "mobile phone" (where it can, and very often does), at the same time as the adjective "いっしょに" is referring to the omitted and implied "携帯" (in this case, meaning "mobile phone").

The sentence basically means: "don't forget your manners" or "carry your manners along with your mobile phone".

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.