According to Genki II, "any causative verb can be interpreted either with the "make somebody do" reading or the "let somebody do" reading".

In English, it's not uncommon to hear a construction such as "Let it drop" or "Make him do it". So are there constructions such as 「落ちさせて」?

Please write answers in the answer box :-) – snailcar Dec 3 '15 at 19:26
  • Do you have a particular situation/context in mind to use 「落ちさせて」 in? I ask because a phrase being grammatical and it being natural-sounding are two separate things. – l'électeur Dec 4 '15 at 0:46
  • 落ちさす is unnatural but causative verb +て is common. For example, 私は子供を学校に行かせてから、掃除した. – Yuuichi Tam Dec 4 '15 at 10:29
    @YuuichiTam I think the OP is asking about て as an imperative form rather than the example above. – user3856370 Dec 4 '15 at 18:40
  • @user3856370 て don't have an imperative form because it's a postpositional particle but the verbal auxiliary of causative has the form like せろ、せよ、させよ、させろ. – Yuuichi Tam Dec 5 '15 at 1:21

I do not know what “causative verb” means in your book, but judging from the 落ちさせる example, I assume that it means verbs with -せる/させる suffix such as 遊ばせる and 片付けさせる. (使役動詞 in Japanese usually means a different form: it means verbs such as 落ちさす, 遊ばす, and 片付けさす.)

Then you can just use them in the imperative form with -て. A child may say to their parents:

宿題が終わったらテレビゲームで遊ばせて。 Let me play a video game after I finish homework.

If a father always cleans his child’s room, a mother may say to him:

遥に自分で片付けさせて。 Make Haruka clean up her own room.

“Let it drop.” in English would be 落ちさせて in Japanese if we only considered grammar, but we just do not say it that way. If “let it drop” means something like “do not worry about it,” it is usually just 気にしないで or 放っておいて.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.