Though the speaker is supposed to support her boyfriend who is fighting, she looks like she supports his opponent. Another character then says to her :

おまえ なにいってんだよ ボーイフレンドだろ...!

Just what are you saying? That's your boyfriend isn't it?

She responds :

いいじゃない べつにあこがれるぐらいかってでしょ!

Yeah, yeah, give me a break. [?]

I'm a bit lost there, I'm used to see べつに in negative sentences, and I don't see what かって means here... I suspect the end of the sentence is omitted but I can't figure out what the omitted part would be...

There is a fairly big difference in meaning/nuance between the "dictionary" 「別に」 and the slangy 「別に」 (and you are clearly 'seeing' the former). The latter does not need to take a negative phrase following it. – l'électeur Nov 28 '15 at 13:26
  • Do you mean I'm seeing the former though it's the latter or that it's the former that can be seen here? : ) Is the slangy べつに you mention something vague like "Whatever/I don't really care" in english? – Alox Nov 28 '15 at 13:58
    I am saying that you are 'seeing' the former when it is not the case. (At least, that is what I think from reading your question. I could be wrong, though.) The colloquial/slangy meaning is much like "meh". – l'électeur Nov 28 '15 at 14:07

"勝手(かって)" in this case means "license" and " abandon ", "one's own way", etc. For example, 私のかって means "That is my choice" and " As I please",etc.

• Thanks, but I'm still lost regarding the general meaning of the sentence... If the general idea is "Whatever, I do what I want!", I don't see how あこがれるぐらい fit in that... – Alox Nov 28 '15 at 14:07
    For example, The one said 彼には恋人がいるよ(He has a girl friend.). She answered あこがれるぐらいは勝手でしょ。(Only yearning is license, isn't it?). And We can use ~するぐらいは自由でしょ and ~するぐらいは良いでしょ instead of ~するぐらい勝手でしょ. – Yuuichi Tam Nov 28 '15 at 14:34
  • So, that would be something like "I can at least admire the other(s) as I want can't I?" – Alox Nov 28 '15 at 14:41
  • Yes, I think so. – Yuuichi Tam Nov 28 '15 at 14:50
  • If you could comment on how べつに affects the rest of the statement, it would make your answer more complete. – Flaw Nov 29 '15 at 13:47

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.