I found this sentence on Jisho.org recently:

どーすんの、このお店{みせ}!完{かん}ッ全{ぜん}に閑古鳥{かんこどり}が鳴{な}いちゃってるじゃない。
What happened to this place?! It's completely dead!

I am baffled as to why there is a small ッ in the middle of 完全. The furigana provided ignores it, and I would be surprised if it were a typo because it is in the middle of a word with kanji. I've never seen anything like this before.

Is the small ッ supposed to affect the pronunciation of the word? Why is it there?

• I've never seen this in writing either, but I figure it indicates a mid-word pause for emphasis, which is something you often hear in speech - and the sentence is clearly colloquial, given the どーすんの at the beginning. (Sort of like やはり→やっぱり, though of course やっぱり is lexicalized while かんっぜん isn't.) – senshin Nov 25 '15 at 21:16
    By the way, I think the idiom is usually 閑古鳥が鳴く, not 閑古鳥が鳴る. – snailboat Nov 26 '15 at 1:20

When っ is placed in the middle of a word, it's showing an elongation/stress for emphasis.

For starters, this appears in many common words not written in kanji, notably:

すっごい (even すっげー), from 凄{すご}い

やっぱり, from やはり

In a lot of colloquial Japanese, っ serves as a small hiccup (in reality a geminated consonant, or sometimes a glottal stop), and is used very commonly for emphasis. Perhaps you've heard some of the following:

全{ぜん}ッ然{ぜん}わかんない!

I don't understand AT ALL. (emphasis that you understand 0% of what's being said)

絶{ぜっ}ッ対{たい}ダメ!

NO WAY! (emphasis that it's totally out of the question)

In your example, we see the same thing as above -- ッ is added between the kanji (almost as an okurigana) showing that the speaker is stretching out (and slightly straining) the ん sound in かんぜん, which gives the effect of emphasizing that it really is 完全に.

Showing where the emphasis lies:

どーすんの、このお店{みせ}!完{かん}ッ全{ぜん}に閑古鳥{かんこどり}が鳴{な}いちゃってるじゃない。

What happened to this place?! It's TOTALLY dead!

It's hard to explain the っ, but I found a good example that came to mind. In https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6A_pU1Tdhjo#t=2m15s, Hatoko (the pink haired girl) says "全ッ然わかんない" right after where I set the timestamp. Hopefully it gives a clear idea of what the ッ sounds like here, and in 完ッ全.

• やっぱり might be a slightly different phenomenon - the lengthening makes it fit the ◯っ◯り adverb pattern seen in things like こっそり or はっきり. – Sjiveru Nov 25 '15 at 23:23

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.