Ok I've been listening to this girl broadcasting her webcam and sometimes she will start talking in a sort of a "rolling R" dialect, or like a "yakuza" type of speaking with rolling R's. Is there is specific term for this in Japanese?

I can tell it's almost like an "alpha" way of speaking. I just don't know how to explain it in Japanese. She knows a little bit of English, so I tried to say "I like you how you talk almost Yakuza-style" but she didn't understand what I said.

Is there is specific way to explain a "rolling R" way of speaking in Japanese?

Please don't bother explaining how Yakuza "really talk", I'm simply asking for a specific way to reference a rolling "R" in Japanese.

How would I say "I like how you roll your 'R's" in Japanese??



I'm not 100% confident, but maybe you're referring to 巻【ま】き舌【じた】(の口調).

Using 巻き舌 is not really special when speaking foreign languages, but 巻き舌 Japanese has a lot of "r" sounds, and is often associated with yakuza-style, overpowering speech.

Use google video search with 「巻き舌 口調」 or 「巻き舌 暴言」 to hear some examples.

  • Hello, sorry for the late reply but yes! This is exactly what I was referring to! Thank you so much for your detailed answer.
    – John R.
    Dec 2 '15 at 8:23

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.