From the Progressive Japanese-English dictionary:

彼を操縦するなどわけはない
I can easily twist [wind] him around [((英)) round] my little finger.

Can you please tell me what わけはない means in this sentence? Thank you

• I believe that clause is 訳が無い. 「訳」means reason. I feel like "there is no need to.." or "there is no reason to..." is a better translation. – Jeff B Nov 24 '15 at 23:30

It uses the second definition at jisho.org:

1. easy; simple

It is also the second definition at dictonary.goo.ne.jp/jn:

2 簡単である。手数がかからない。

In the sentence you provided, the particle が is changed to は.

| improve this answer | |
  • I was worried by my answer. How can we know that the sentence isn't using defintion 1. in your link? – user3856370 Nov 24 '15 at 23:05
    I think the difference is that する isn't directly attached to わけ. If was 彼を操縦するわけはない then it would definitely sound like "There is no way that I could manipulate him." – Darcinon Nov 24 '15 at 23:14
  • I'm more convinced by your answer but I'm interested to know if mine is valid, so I think I'll leave it there until the down votes roll in. – user3856370 Nov 24 '15 at 23:25
  • This should be another way to phrase the original sentence and preserve the "easy, simple" meaning: 彼を操縦するなどはわけがない。 – Darcinon Nov 24 '15 at 23:32

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.