For example in this sentence

「―――いえ。 誰にも遠野くんは傷つけさせません。 それだけは信じてください」 ……というか、そんな事より旅費とかパスポートとかを心配してしまう自分の小市民ぶりが情けない。

or this one

「……兄さん。秋葉にとって、兄さんは本当に一番大切な人だった。 だって、どんなに焦がれていても、それが手に入らないなら目障りなだけでしょう?」

「―――だから、殺してあげますね兄さん。一番大切なモノだったから、貴方は他の誰にも傷つけさせません

Should the を particle be used here? I was taught that in the causative form it was the topic who made に do the action on an object を, at least if the verb is transitive in its original form.

Isn't here the verb 傷つける which is transitive?

A. 誰{だれ}にも遠{とお}野{の}くん傷{きず}つけさせません。
B. 貴方{あなた}他{ほか}の誰{だれ}にも傷{きず}つけさせません。

The plain forms of these sentences are as below.

A'. 誰{だれ}にも遠{とお}野{の}くん傷{きず}つけさせません。  
B'. 貴方{あなた}他{ほか}の誰{だれ}にも傷{きず}つけさせません。

When you add the particle は to を, を is almost always omitted, only は is spoken or written. In old Japanese, をば was used in the case, you may seldom see it nowadays.

The particle は is not only used for the topic marker, but also used for emphasis.
は being used for emphasis, you can give an implied hint that others may be different from what は mentions.
For example, A suggests indirectly that someone except for 遠{とお}野{の}くん may be injured, while A' doesn't have any contrast or comparison between 遠{とお}野{の}くん and others.

• A:I won't let anyone hurt Tohno-Kun. B:I won't late anyone else hurt Tohno-Kun. Am i correct? I could rewrite them like this: 遠野くんは私が誰にも傷つけさせません – Splikie Nov 23 '15 at 9:05
  • @Splikie, what's the difference between A and B? I don't think you've understood the contrastive wa correctly. The contrast goes on 遠野くん. 遠野くん, but not others. – dainichi Nov 24 '15 at 0:02
  • I understand them like this. A:I won't let anyone hurt Tohno-kun(only him, as for others I don't care/don't know). B:I won't let anyone else hurt you (Only you, as for other I don't care/don't know). It gives me a vibe like "only X and as for the others it does not matter". Am I correct? – Splikie Nov 24 '15 at 8:35

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.