For example in this sentence

「―――いえ。 誰にも遠野くんは傷つけさせません。 それだけは信じてください」 ……というか、そんな事より旅費とかパスポートとかを心配してしまう自分の小市民ぶりが情けない。

or this one

「……兄さん。秋葉にとって、兄さんは本当に一番大切な人だった。 だって、どんなに焦がれていても、それが手に入らないなら目障りなだけでしょう?」

「―――だから、殺してあげますね兄さん。一番大切なモノだったから、貴方は他の誰にも傷つけさせません

Should the を particle be used here? I was taught that in the causative form it was the topic who made に do the action on an object を, at least if the verb is transitive in its original form.

Isn't here the verb 傷つける which is transitive?

1 Answer 1

A. 誰{だれ}にも遠{とお}野{の}くん傷{きず}つけさせません。
B. 貴方{あなた}他{ほか}の誰{だれ}にも傷{きず}つけさせません。

The plain forms of these sentences are as below.

A'. 誰{だれ}にも遠{とお}野{の}くん傷{きず}つけさせません。  
B'. 貴方{あなた}他{ほか}の誰{だれ}にも傷{きず}つけさせません。

When you add the particle は to を, を is almost always omitted, only は is spoken or written. In old Japanese, をば was used in the case, you may seldom see it nowadays.

The particle は is not only used for the topic marker, but also used for emphasis.
は being used for emphasis, you can give an implied hint that others may be different from what は mentions.
For example, A suggests indirectly that someone except for 遠{とお}野{の}くん may be injured, while A' doesn't have any contrast or comparison between 遠{とお}野{の}くん and others.

• A:I won't let anyone hurt Tohno-Kun. B:I won't late anyone else hurt Tohno-Kun. Am i correct? I could rewrite them like this: 遠野くんは私が誰にも傷つけさせません
    – Splikie
    Nov 23, 2015 at 9:05
  • @Splikie, what's the difference between A and B? I don't think you've understood the contrastive wa correctly. The contrast goes on 遠野くん. 遠野くん, but not others.
    – dainichi
    Nov 24, 2015 at 0:02
  • I understand them like this. A:I won't let anyone hurt Tohno-kun(only him, as for others I don't care/don't know). B:I won't let anyone else hurt you (Only you, as for other I don't care/don't know). It gives me a vibe like "only X and as for the others it does not matter". Am I correct?
    – Splikie
    Nov 24, 2015 at 8:35

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .