This may sound strange, but say you're talking to a friend on the phone, or an equivalent. You want to ask if they have a new game or say, got the new character in a game. I realise you can ask 'have you received', but is there any way besides 持つ and ある? Like a verb to 'own' or to 'possess'?

If I'm not making sense, say if I asked you if you had a car. Would I just say あなたは車がある? What about a new character in a game? How would I say 'do you own him' or 'have you got/received him yet'?

Thanks!

I suppose these could be used for gaming. Remember to use the right tense.

仲間に入れる - make a friend out of
仲間に加える - to add into your group of friends
手に入れる - often used when finding items in game
見つかる / 見つける - to find/be found transitive/intransitive
ゲットする - english loanword for "get" suru verb
プレーする - english loanfor for "to play" hear it used in sports a lot. Maybe for videogames too

There are a lot of loanwords in both videosgames and sports.

more general words for purchase/import/buy

購入 - purchase
輸入 - import
買う - buy

for cars

新車 - new car
外車 - import car

you're talking to a friend on the phone... if I asked you if you had a car. Would I just say あなたは車がある?

I would say 「[車]{くるま} [持]{も}ってる?」 or 「車 ある?」

What about a new character in a game? How would I say 'do you own him' or 'have you got/received him yet'?

「XX手に入れた?」 would be fine, but to sound more casual I would say 「XX [取]{と}った?」 「XX [取]{と}れた?」 「XX ゲットした?」 or maybe 「XX もう持ってる?」

You want to ask if they have a new game

I would say 「XX (もう)買った?」 or 「XX もう持ってる?」

Here are some more verbs that are related to having, receiving, and owning.

These ones are common:

くれる - to give (usually to speaker)
もらう - to receive (from somebody)
ゲットする - to get, to obtain
受{う}ける - to get, to receive
得{え}る - to acquire, to get
取{と}る - to take
含{ふく}む to have, to include
抱{かか}える - to hold/carry in/under the arms, to have (problems, debts, etc.)

There ones may be more rare or formal:

達{たっ}する - to reach, to get to
擁{よう}する - to have, to possess
有{ゆう}する - to own, to have
所有{しょゆう}する - to own, to possess (property)

Also, 持つ has an advantage over ある because you can leave out the topic/subject without changing the meaning.

車がある。 There is a car.
私は車がある。 I have a car. (As for me, there is a car.)
(私は)車を持ってる。 (I) have a car.

Like Saitama and Darcinon mentioned, there are several expressions you can use for different situations here, depending on the context. I don't think there's a universal answer here though.

If you want to ask "do you have/own a car?" The most natural way of asking would be

車を持っている?

In theory you could use 持っている with the game character as well, but in that context these terms might be better.

大乱闘スマッシュブラザーズでワリオをゲットした?
or
もうワリオを手に入れた?

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.