There is this lyric

何から逃れたいんだ
現実ってやつか

Where 逃れたいんだ seems like its the -tai form. How should I translate this?

I don't understand where て comes in. Can you explain what you mean? – snailboat Nov 11 '15 at 10:41
  • It just looks like it might be a te form, but I'm sure that's the case. How would you translate that? – Sophie Proud Nov 11 '15 at 10:57
  • Why do you think it's in て form? たい's て form is たくて. – Aeon Akechi Nov 11 '15 at 11:18
    It tried writing an answer but I'm not sure if the OP will be satisfied with it... If we knew why she thought it was the -te form in the first place it would help in explaining. – Robin Nov 11 '15 at 12:06

As people have mentioned in the comments, the -te form doesn't come into this.

Here we have the ichidan verb [逃]{のが}れる, 'to escape'. So the -tai form would be 逃れたい, which is what we see in the lyrics.
The same conjugation as, for example, 食べる→食べたい where you just replace with たい.

何から逃れたいんだ
What do you want to get away from?
現実ってやつか
(That thing called) reality?

As @Nothing at all says, -tai + -te form would be たくて.

For example, 現実から逃れたくて漫画を読む - to read manga because(-te) you want(-tai) to get away from reality.

edit: it seems OP completely changed the initial question. This answer talks about the -te form so much because the initial question was "-Tai form with -te form? explanation please"

マイナス2になってんだけどwwオレなんかまずいことでも言った?? – Robin Nov 11 '15 at 14:05
  • おお・・でも巻き返した! (^ ^)/~ – Chocolate Nov 13 '15 at 13:51

何から逃れたいんだ From what do you want to escape?

現実ってやつか Reality?

-tai form correspond to want in English.

verb conjugation 逃れる(normal)->逃れたい(want)

e.g I want have sandwich for lunch. 私はサンドイッチをランチに'食べたい'と思います

verb conjugation 食べる(normal)->食べたい(want)

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.