There is a popular quote from the famous novel The Little Prince:

What is essential is invisible to the eye.

The Japanese translation goes something like this:

大切な物は目に見えないんだ。

I have three questions: First, invisible is "cannot be seen". Why is 見えない used instead of 見られない?

Second, what does it mean when you put: んだ in the end of the sentence? For me i wouldnt have thought about it and could have ended with みられない。

Third, 大切 is important. Since the word used in the text is essential, is it possible that there is a better word for that? Something that is one level higher than just being important? Perhaps a level like 欠かせない。

Q1: Because the verb 見える has more than one meaning, and it can both mean "to be able to see (something)" and "to be visible". See this question, too.

Q2: んだ is a colloquial form of のだ. See this question.

Q3: Literally, important is 大切/重要 and essential is 本質的. And according to this page, the original French version seems to contain two similar sentences, one using essentiel and one using important:

• L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux.
  • Le plus important est invisible.

The translation of the latter using important seems to be better-known in Japan. 「本質的なものは目に見えない」 would perfectly make sense, but the word 本質的 may be a bit too difficult for children.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.