A book about architecture I'm trying to read (it's a bit of a slog what with the technical jargon and such) contained this description of a temple building: 二重、初重5X4間、裳階 (もこし) つき、上重4X3間. So it's two stories, the first being five rooms by four, with lean-to rooms attached, etc. I have a few questions about this. First, how is the "X" in 5X4 read? Additionally, I'm assuming that 初重 and 上重 are read しょじゅう and じょうじゅう, respectively. Is this correct?

In fact that symbol is not X but × on computers. It is the symbol for multiplication. Aug 30, 2011 at 21:06
    My computer is special. (笑)
    – rdb
    Aug 30, 2011 at 23:22

2 Answers 2

The English "by" is read 「かける multiply」 in Japanese. A 3x4 matrix, for example, is 「3かける4行列」 in Japanese. I assume your readings are right in the second part of your question, but can't seem to find them anywhere.

Occasionally you may see the contracted 「かけ」 also. Dec 30, 2013 at 3:14

I think you are making a big miskate. As for 5X4間, you interpret it as 'five rooms by four', but it is not clear what that means, and probably that is wrong. is a traditional unit for length. It is approx the long length of a tatami (about 1.8m). 5X4間 means a 5間 by 4間 rectangle.

• Thank you, sawa. That makes a good deal more sense in the context of historical architecture. For anyone else who's interested,in this case, according to the Wikipedia entry (which I should have thought to look up beforehand), 間 is read as けん.
    – rdb
    Aug 28, 2011 at 20:34

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .