This is a dialogue being discussed between 3 students.

A: おまえきょうのテストどうした?

B: へへ まあな

A:なんだよまあなって...できたんかよ?

B:ばーか このおれができるわけないだろ

C: こいつのまあなはいつものとおり白紙でございって意味だよ

As I understand, the word 「ござる」 is used for polite form. I think that, in this situation, the word 「ある」 would be more proper than the previous one.

Could anyone tell me the reason about this, please?

Extra question: 「まあな」 used in this conversation means 'well', right?

まあな = a very non-emphatic “Yeah, I guess so” or “Yeah, it was ok” – mirka Nov 10 '15 at 7:34

This ござい is not used to actually show respect. ~でござい is an abbreviated form of でございます, and is a fixed phrase commonly used by traditional Japanese street performers such as チンドン屋, ガマの油売り, and 南京玉すだれ performers to show something off and draw people's attention. Person C is imitating their way of speaking.

㋐《「ございます」の略》「ある」の意の丁寧語。多く口上などで用いられた。 「田舎者で―、冷え物で―」〈滑・浮世風呂・前〉 (from goo辞書)

I don't know the English equivalent of this, but basically this ござい sounds somewhat like "Look at this!" or "Behold!".

Of course a 白紙のテスト is usually a bad thing, but B here does not care for it. He seems to be even proud of giving in a blank paper, hence the expression 白紙でござい (≒hey look at this blank paper).

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.